What if I created the invention with someone from another institution or company?

If you created the invention under a sponsored research or consulting agreement with a company, the OTC licensing specialist will need to review that contract to determine ownership and other rights associated with the contract and to determine the appropriate next steps. Should the technology be jointly owned with another academic institution, OTC will usually enter into an “inter-institutional” agreement that provides for one of the institutions to take the lead in protecting and licensing the invention, sharing of expenses associated with the patenting process and allocating any licensing revenues. If the technology is jointly owned with another company, your licensing specialist will work with the company to determine the appropriate patenting and licensing strategy.