- This event has passed.
ARPA-E Fellows Job Opening (Spring 2023)
January 13 @ 8:00 am - February 15 @ 5:00 pm
ARPA-E is looking for the next generation of scientific leaders to help solve the most pressing and exciting challenges in energy. The Fellows identify possible breakthrough energy technologies, conduct technical and economic analyses, and help inform agency strategy and direction. During their two-year tenure, ARPA-E Fellows influence the direction of American energy innovation and engage with world-class researchers in academia and industry, entrepreneurs, and government officials. Prior experience in energy and/or commercialization is not necessary.
Independent exploration of novel energy technologies
- Perform primary technical and economic analyses to identify high‑impact technologies and white spaces for the agency.
- Learn from and brainstorm with experts in a variety of fields.
- Publish original research papers and reviews.
- Attend and present at conferences.
Program Director support
- Help develop future programs through technical analysis, discussions, debate, and workshops.
- Support existing programs through technical and economic analyses and on-site visits to current project teams.
- Develop technical content for the ARPA-E Energy Innovation Summit.
- Contribute to the strategic direction and vision of the agency.
- Review proposals for funding opportunities.
ARPA-E Fellows do not perform laboratory research or directly engage in policymaking.
- Ph.D. in science or engineering. Students who expect to complete their Ph.D. within the next year are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong analytical, research, and communication skills.
- Ability to initiate independent projects and work across disciplines.
- Passion to change the world through energy technology research and development.
- U.S. citizenship.
- Fellows typically have a 2-year term at ARPA-E.
- Duty station is ARPA-E headquarters in Washington, D.C.
- Fellows receive a budget for professional development and travel.
- Fellows are full-time federal employees, are paid a competitive salary, and receive full benefits.
Application and interview process [approximate timeline]:
- Written application [accepted now through February 15, 2023]
- Phone interview: selected candidates are invited for a phone interview [late February/early March 2023]
- Final round interview: selected candidates are invited for a final round interview [April/May 2023]
- Offers extended to selected candidates [May 2023]
*All dates are approximate and subject to change.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
To apply to the ARPA-E Fellows Program, please respond thoughtfully to the prompts shown below and submit a cover letter, current CV, and contact information for three references. In preparing the cover letter, please discuss your interest in joining ARPA-E.
If you have any questions or concerns, we encourage you to please reach out to us via email at ARPA-Efirstname.lastname@example.org with the words “ARPA-E Fellows” in the subject heading.
Please submit your application by February 15, 2023. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed.